Geraldine Combined Sports Association
The Geraldine Sports Association promote participation and positive, successful experiences in sport for all in the Geraldine community.
We encourage a collaborative working relationship between clubs to enable the sharing of sporting resources, provide support and guidance around funding applications and player & coach development.
Our affiliated clubs also enjoy access to our Kiwisport Co-ordinator, who promotes their sports to school children of the wider Geraldine area.
Geraldine Combined Sports (GCS) is a sports club partnership set up in 2012 with the aim of providing assistance to its member sports clubs. Our vision is people connecting in sport for engagement and excellence.
Our vision starts with people choosing to participate in sporting opportunities which we offer in our Geraldine community. More people playing sport in our community is a goal in itself. It also creates a bigger base for running events and developing talent.
Sporting excellence for us is to have sporting achievement across all age groups in regional and national teams including coaches and officials.
Achieving our vision will involve engagement with all community groups including a well-connected sporting community working closely with business partners, councils, schools, regional sports trusts and other organisations.
GCS Strategic Outcomes:
- Participation Growth – To increase in the number of people participating in sport in our community
- Healthy Management Systems – Good governance and management of sport providing financial sustainability
- Unified Members – Clubs are united to deliver the whole of their sport
- Enhanced Facilities/Resources – To increase and improve the quality, accessibility and utilisation of spaces and places
We are committed to:
- Sharing resources for sustainable sporting organisations
- Successful and enjoyable sporting experiences
- Development of sporting capability in our community
- Being accessible and beneficial to all of our members
GCS currently has 12 member organisations. These are the local Rugby, Netball, Football, Hockey, Cricket, Athletics, Squash, Swimming, Seido Karate, Tennis and Golf clubs, as well as the Geraldine High School which is a community member.
A KiwiSport Coordinator is employed by GSC to help enhance the relationships between Geraldine Sports Clubs, Schools and the Community.
Prior to 2012 there was little interaction between sporting codes in Geraldine. Many clubs were struggling for membership and resources and it was difficult to attract club volunteers. The GCS provides a platform to support these clubs and hopes that increased communication between clubs will result in the sharing of resources and volunteers and see sporting participation in the area strengthened.